Sights

The Graveyard

In 1962, Utö got its own graveyard. All the sand needed for it was transported to Utö by barge. Before 1962, the islanders were buried on Jurmo, the nearest inhabited island with a church and a cemetery. Many stories tell about a dangerous journeys in a storm or over the treacherous ice in winter when someone had died and was taken to Jurmo to be buried. The actual burial service was not held until summer, when the vicar from Korpo came to the island.

In the graveyard, there is a monument in memory of all those who found their grave in the sea. The monument - designed by Gösta Bergman - is a tombstone in the shape of a spritsail. The vertical stripe of red granite represents the red stripe on the sails of pilot boats.

Beside the graveyard, there is the solitary grave of a mariner from the German Imperial Navy. His body was found on the shore in December 1916.

To the east of the graveyard, there is a barrow where lies the body of Nikitin, a Russian air-pilot from the crew of a bombplane that was forced to land on the ice of Vidskärsfjärd during the Winter War. Two Russian prisoners of war were also buried there during the Continuation War. They had tried to escape from the German ship `Hindenburg´, but were shot down by the Germans.

It is told that in old times, the sandy meadow on the southeastern side of the lighthouse was used as the burial ground for drowned sailors found on the shore. This place was earlier called “Körrgården”, the churchyard.