Sights

The Museum

Our walk around Utö has come to an end, and we are back at the museum, called the “Stonehouse”. It is the oldest building on Utö, dating from the year 1753 - the same year as the lighthouse. Until the 1860`s, it served as a residence for lighthouse keepers and their families. Then it was used as storage until the 1990´s when it was renovated by the Maritime Authorities and opened as a museum, which is maintained by the Local History Society.

The exhibition in the museum shows the special features of this small lighthouse community living in seclusion from the surrounding world. It tells about the pilots, lighthouse keepers and soldiers, their families and social life, fishing and hunting and, of course, about the many shipwrecks witnessed by the inhabitants of Utö.